I am very excited to announce our new photography competition, “Imitate the Old Masters”. We chose five portrait paintings by old Master painters of which you can imitate any one of them by taking a similar image. The idea is to see if you can capture the “essence” of any of these paintings on a technical and aesthetic level. We will obviously place much emphasis on atmosphere, light, colour and emotion. Even if you use a model that does not necessarily look similar than the subject in the painting, you should still be able to convey the same atmosphere and emotion in your photograph. A difficult one!
- Leon Pelser sponsored R 1,000 prize money for this competition.
- He also sponsored another competition, we will be hosting after this one. Thanks doc!
Judging and Criteria…
- The judges will consist of a panel of three (3) Photo Critic moderators and judges
- Originality will be really important while maintaining the essence of the original art-work. Your image should be reminiscent of the original art work. (Use your own interpretation in terms of finding an interesting model and background, but capture a similar image, especially in regards to mood and emotion)
- We will also place much emphasis on photographic precision i.e. your ability to re-create the image in terms of light, colour, focus and background in shooting it, and thereafter perfecting the image in post…
Only Photo Critic members can enrol [Excluding Leon Pelser and any of the DPC Team, Administrators and Moderators.
- You can enter a single image and up to five (5) images, but are restricted to entering only one image per master painting. In other words you may enter a single image per painting.
- You are not restricted in terms of using any Equipment and Lighting.
- You may use any Software, and go through any lengths to perfect the image in post-editing.
- Only images with a complete description on how you’ve shot it, and what software processes have been used will be eligible
Submitting your Images…
Images should be uploaded on Photo Critic and we will allow the competition images as an additional upload to your normal weekly quota. Add the following phrase in the top of the Description “Imitate the Old Masters Competition”
30 August 2013 (The winner will be announced on Friday, 6 September 2013)
Featured Master Paintings...
"Girl with the Pearl" Johannes Vermeer
"The Prayer" Van Gogh
"Flowerhead" Salvadore Dali
"Victoria Duborg" Edgar Degas
Mother and Child Gustav Klimt
The competition images are posted below...
"Flowerhead" by Kevin Richards
"The prayer" by Susan Pretorius
"Girl with the Pearl" by Susan Pretorius
Gerrie Van Rensburg's "The Prayer"
Gerrie Van Rensburg's "Girl with the Pearl"
Peter John Martin's "Girl with the Pearl"
Sharon Cunningham's "Girl with the Pearl Ear Ring"
Lize Hill's "Girl with the Pearl"
Leon Pelser's Unofficial Entry..
The following entry was posted on a Blog by Leon Pelser, the sponsor of the competition and I thought it would be great to share it here with the entries. Even though the image will not be considered for the competition...
Leon Pelser's "Mother and Child" Unofficial Entry